Here’s the key to mastering this pinto bean sweet potato bowl: Please tell me you’ve tasted the difference between homemade, slow cooker pinto beans and the canned variety! If you haven’t, let me just tell you, they aren’t even on the same level! These beans are creamy and delicious without that nasty metallic taste that’s so common in canned beans! They have such a great flavour and texture, even bean-haters will enjoy this recipe. Dry beans require a little planning ahead to soak them and slow cook them, but they are definitely worth the wait! These pintos are great with tacos, ranch eggs in the morning, or on top of a bed of loaded nachos! I made burrito bowls featuring these delicious beans and they were a hit! The sweet potato is a sweet and hardy addition to the beans to make it more of a meal. Adding a little chicken spritzed with lime juice could also do the trick, if you choose to eat animal products!
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 30 mins Total Time: 1 hour Serves: 2
1 cup pinto beans
4 cups water for soaking
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 a yellow onion, quartered
1 medium sweet potato, chopped into small cubes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup salsa or fresh chopped onion, tomato, pepper and lime
Cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. The night before planning to serve, soak the pinto beans in 4 cups of water. Allow 8 hours to soak, then drain, and rinse. Alternatively you can use canned beans.
2. Add the beans to a crock pot with chicken stock and the yellow onion. Cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or until beans are soft.
3. Mash beans with a fork until they reach the consistency of refried beans.
4. While beans are cooking, roast the sweet potatoes with the olive oil for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Salt to taste.
5. Assemble the bowl by layering beans, sweet potatoes, and the salsa. Serve warm.