Total Prep Time: 1 hour
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp dried cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 2-4 Tbsp sour cream
- Parsley to garnish (optional)
- Roasted chickpeas to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Slice acorn squash in half and place cut side down in a baking dish filled with 1 inch of water.
3. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until soft.
4. Meanwhile heat oil in a large pot. Add the onions and garlic and saute until onions soften. Remove from heat until squash is done.
5. Once ready, scoop out the flesh from the sides of the squash (reserve for serving if desired) and place in the pot adding the ginger and chicken stock.
6. Return pot to heat and warm through, adding the spices and seasonings. Leave as is, or if you prefer a creamier texture puree with an emersion blender.
7. Add the chicken last, warm through, then garnish with sour cream, chopped parsley, and roasted chickpeas.