Creamy in texture, and sweet in flavor, butternut squash bake is a great Vitamin A packed recipe to keep your family safe from colds. Its a quick and easy way to enjoy squash, and only uses one dish. This bake is great served with a side of chicken or on top of a bed of whole wheat noodles. Try including more squash in your meals by throwing them in casseroles, stuffing them with lean meats and hardy lentils, or using them in place of less nutritious carbohydrates like rice or pasta.
Prep Time: 50mins
1 butternut squash
1 red onion
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup sunflower seeds, roasted unsalted
½ cup crumbled feta (if vegan you can substitute with cashew cheese or nutritional yeast flakes))
Salt and freshly crushed black pepper
Cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Roughly chop the squash and red onion into bite sized pieces.
3. Toss with olive oil in a baking dish and bake until soft, 40 to 50 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, mix in the sunflower seeds, cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Top with a few cilantro leaves and enjoy plain, as a side, or over whole grain pasta!